Tuesday 8 April 2014

It's official.




Today we had the official opening of our new school site. We've been preparing this day for honestly so long! Kapa Haka practices and all the little kids were so cute, I'd always hear them practicing the songs when they were walking around at morning tea and lunch. Then yesterday Koka Karyn asked for someone to say a speech in behalf of the students and everyone looked at me and was like oh yeah oh yeah ellen will do it and I was like pfft no but then I didn't wanna wear a girls blouse so I said I'd do it hahaha! So here's how today went!!







Oh last night me, Hori and Ton all went down to the Marae to help with hangi, all 400 of em! Most of the EYLC teachers were there and their so funny and are all like mates joking around like how we are but just in their own different way ahahaha! Tired as as as after that! Then this morning we got all dressed up in our number ones, does short skirts doe! Went to school and just chillin' like usual! Teah read my speech and said it was good but then like told me the things she thought were bad and at the time I wish she didn't because I was already so nervous and I hate being nervous and like I get severely nervous ole, but like I actually make myself sick! But I'm so glad I have Teah coz she was just being honest and trying to help me, ain't nobody got time for friends who lie! Everyone looks so cool all flashed up, I love us so much! We set up all the chairs on the verandas coz it was gon rain! Then we all had to go out and get in our powhiri lines, in the rain. And stand there for probably like twenty minutes ahahah I don't even know! Olea was there yaas miss that shawty, she was taking photos and such. Then yeah we did the powhiri and it was super cool, I messed up heaps haha but it's aaaallgoods. 



We all looked like drowned rats, and then had to go sit in the rain just a bit more. Everyone did all their whaikorero and waiata, and us little pakeha delinquents were sitting at the back cracking up with all our umbrellas hahaha! Jessie and Caleb were being idiots, it was freezing and all our clothes were like soaked through. I was actually shivering which is quite a rare occurrence coz I've got insulation ahahaha. So then they all went up on the veranda and I went and chucked my warm blazer on. Mum, Karyn, the builder said their speeches and then it was my turn. 





I got up and all my friends came over and that honestly just made me so happy, like all my worries just went away when I saw them walking over to me, I love each and everyone of them with all my heart. I said my speech without too many stuff ups, and I made people laugh which was the best part. Here it is for me to remember forever 

"Ko te Manu e Kai ana te Miro, No na Te Ngahere. Ko te Manu e Kai ana te Matauranga, No na te ao. The bird that partakes of the Miro berry inherits the forest. The bird that partakes of knowledge inherits the world. 
Hi I'm Ellen Randall, a year 13 here. 4 years ago I made the decision to come to Te Karaka Area School, these past four years have been the best of my life, I've made the strongest friendships with everyone and made the best memories that you all know I'll never forget. We are honestly the biggest family, there is so much manaakitanga and whanaungatanga here that you just don't get at other schools. I'm so proud to say that I go to this school and come from this area, no matter what other people from other schools think and say about us, we know we're the best and that's all that matters.
Everyone here is special in their own way, we make each other strong, we're not the same we're different, in a good way and together, that's where we belong
 I am a foundation student and have been here since the very beginning. I have learnt so many different things and have had so many amazing opportunities to do things that I never imagined I'd even want to do.  I have seen how much everyone has grown and how the school has evolved. I love everyone who has made this school what it is today and I'd like to thank you all on behalf of the students at Te Karaka Area School. This school is so important to me and my community and I'm so happy to see so many people who support us all.
He aha te mea nui o tenei ao? Maku I ki atu, he tangata, he tangata, he tangata. Kia ora."




Then after all the speeches and all everything we went back to class and some people were smart enough to bring a change of clothes but nope not me. But we had to go be your guides for everyone anyways! I was the most official looking with my blazer and all so I took the Mayor and his wife around, I didn't really know what I was talking about and just repeated the same things over and over hahahaha! After that we had our hangi lunch in the class. Me, Ton, Teah and Tane all sat together and were just being uglys, Tane played the guitar. It was pretty cool, then all of us who were still in uniform went to be waitresses to everyone in the hall. I was following Teah and Ken round with my tray of teacups and it was so dang hot in there! Then the best part of my entire week probably, Bly and baby came!! I was standing there with my tray and i was so excited to see them! I chucked the teacups on the table and gave them the biggest hugs! I stole baby and went and took a few more teacups around hahaha! But i love those two girls and that whole family so much! I was honestly giddy with excitement to see one of my bestfriends! Everyone was all crowded round them and then Kayne was leaving so i said we'd take em home. Bly wanted to see the school coz she hasnt even been there yet! Then we took them home, little Bunny in the middle all snuggled up in her onesie and i was like "ngaaaw you're such a cutie" and she was like nah ahahahaha fishing for compliments then Bly was like "I dint teach her that, she learnt it from her aunty Hurutea" ahahah it was so funny man!!









Then just came home and crashed out. We took so many selfies and what not because we all looked flash hahaha, and then Ash said us Tekarashians are the best at taking selfies ahahaha! I love my school, i love my friends who are literally like my family, I would do anything for those nuggets, I'm so glad all of them are a part of my life :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment